Accountability Reporter – Liberty County, Georgia
The Current, Georgia’s only nonprofit investigative news organization, is seeking an energetic, versatile reporter to cover Liberty County as part of our newsroom’s mission to fill the vacuum of in-depth, nonpartisan watchdog journalism in Coastal Georgia.
Liberty County is home to Fort Stewart, the largest military base east of the Mississippi. It is also a largely rural county with an highly diverse population (64% Black, Hispanic, Asian or multi-racial). The symbiotic relationship between the base, the coastal and farming communities surrounding it offer rich opportunities to write stories about Georgia’s evolving demography.
The ideal candidate will focus on accountability, covering what’s broken and what’s working in this important part of the state. We are looking for journalism that reveals how public policies, budgets and planning affect the people impacted by these decisions. Coverage will include city and county government, public infrastructure and safety, education, environment, health care, campaign finance and elections.
Our ideal candidate is a self-directed reporter with the ability to develop sources and contacts from diverse groups of people, wrangle public records from local, state and federal governments and juggle explanatory, enterprise and long-range projects.
- Strong writing and reporting skills and excellent news judgment
- Unwavering commitment to accurate, ethical journalism
- Demonstrated ability to access and analyze public records, including campaign finance data, court records, property records
- Demonstrated ability to tell stories using a variety of tools and platforms, including capturing and editing video and data/graphics
- Demonstrated ability to work comfortably in a job that will be data-driven, shaped constantly by feedback and experimentation
- Must have reliable transportation. Must have valid driver’s license and vehicle insurance required (at least minimum insurance required for the state in which the employee works).
Our accountability reporter will live in Liberty County. We will prioritize applicants who know the DNA of local government and have an affinity for small town Southern life. Prior Georgia reporting experience is a plus.
We realize there are qualified candidates who won’t meet every expectation mentioned, so if you think you are a good fit, please apply anyway. Tell us why you are right for this job in your application letter.
Founded in 2020, The Current is based in Savannah, Georgia and relies on donors to fund our public service journalism. Our Liberty County position is fully funded for a minimum of three years. We offer competitive salary ($55,000-$65,000), housing support and benefits. Read our mission statement and our editorial independence policy here.
To apply: Send a cover letter, resume, and PDF copies of (or links to) your five best stories to email@example.com. Please put Liberty County in the subject line.
Now: Accepting applications now for paid internships for 2023. College students may send resume, samples of work and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.