This ongoing series from The Current GA as part of ProPublica’s Local Reporting Network, focuses on title pawn contracts, the lenders and the lack of regulation in a system that traps many borrowers who already need help to rise out of debt. Updated regularly, it shines light on the industry, regulation and the lenders and their customers.
- “How Georgia’s top GOP leaders have blocked title lending reform,” By Margaret Coker/The Current GA and Mollie Simon/ProPublica, April 4, 2023.
- “TitleMax ordered to pay $15 million for predatory lending to soldiers, families,” by Margaret Coker/The Current GA/ProPublica, Feb. 24, 2023.
- “Georgia legislators back bill to rein in title pawn industry,” Feb. 14, 2023.
- “Inside the sales practices of nation’s biggest title lender,” By Margaret Coker/The Current GA/ProPublica, Jan. 19, 2023.
- “How title lenders trap poor Georgians in debt with triple-digit interest rates.” By Margaret Coker/The Current GA, Joel Jacobs/ProPublica, with research by Mollie Simon/ProPublica, Nov. 14, 2022
- “Q&A: How title lending works,” Margaret Coker/The Current GA, Joel Jacobs/ProPublica, with research by Mollie Simon/ProPublica, Dec. 6, 2022