The Current GA — In-Depth Journalism for Coastal Georgia
The Current, Georgia’s only nonprofit nonpartisan investigative news organization, is hiring a Director of Development. We are seeking candidates to expand our development infrastructure and to cultivate, solicit, and close major gifts to further the newsroom’s ability to produce in-depth public service journalism in Coastal Georgia. Successful candidates will have experience in high-level nonprofit fundraising leadership and building fundraising strategies, as well as an affinity for working in a dynamic, diverse and collegial workplace.
1. Develop a major gifts strategy that builds The Current’s portfolio of major donors and diversifies our membership program via individuals, corporations, and foundations.
2. Identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit, and steward a portfolio of 150 sustaining donors & prospective sustaining donors. Increase the overall giving of the assigned portfolio, with heavy emphasis on substantially upgrading current donors and soliciting new donors;
3. Work in close partnership with the newsroom leaders and members of the board of directors and other volunteers to identify and cultivate prospective donors to the organization;
4. Oversee stewardship efforts to ensure that donors are well-informed, acknowledged, and appreciated in meaningful and timely ways;
5. Conduct 3 engagement actions per month with donors & prospects, building engagement as donor base grows over the first calendar year.
6. Collaborate on annual budget process, and achieve and exceed budgeted fundraising goals to further the priorities of the newsroom;
7. Work closely with development, administration, communications and program staff to advance knowledge of program activities and outcomes and communicate those to donors;
8. Execute at least two large solicitation/fundraising events annually for 100 guests or more. Plan regular intimate events more regularly.
9. Attend departmental, programmatic, and external events as a representative of The Current.
10. Lead presentations on behalf of The Current to outside and interested organizations, corporations, foundations and groups
11. Ensure data integrity and maintain meticulous records in compliance with regulatory standards and best practices regarding donor cultivation, recognition, solicitation, and stewardship for assigned portfolio;
12. Create innovative funding ideas and strategies that energize and grow our donor base
JOB QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
1. A passion for The Current’s mission to provide nonpartisan, in-depth local news to Coastal Georgia’s diverse communities and appreciation for the role trustworthy journalism plays in a healthy democracy;
2. A minimum 3-5 years of development experience with special emphasis on donor relations, prospecting, membership management, including at least 2 years of direct solicitation experience;
3. Proven attention to detail, organization and timely follow-through;
4. Excellent written, oral, interpersonal and presentation skills. Ability to interact directly and effectively with senior staff, directors, top volunteers and donors;
5. Highly motivated to achieve ambitious goals;
6. Flexibility to work during evenings and on weekends;
7. Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
8. Standard office computer skills and a familiarity with databasing of donor records;
9. Working knowledge of Georgia’s nonprofit landscape, family foundations and corporate social responsibility programs preferred;
10. Demonstrated ability to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds.