Scroll down for specific county, state resources and alerts signups
Chatham Area Transit is working with the Chatham Emergency Management Agency to transport Savannah-area residents to an emergency shelter.
The emergency shelter will be located at Compassion Christian Church, located at 55 Al Henderson Blvd., in Savannah and will open at 5 p.m. Thursday.
- Passengers who need assistance can take any bus to get to the downtown transit center, then line up at the “H-Spot” to head to the emergency shelter free of charge.
- CAT will have a special route that will only service the ITC and the emergency shelter.
- The last trip to leave the ITC will be at 9:30 pm.
- Passengers will have to indicate that they are going to the shelter to ride for free.
- Riders are only allowed to bring 2 bags on the trip to the emergency shelter.
- Pets are not allowed at the emergency shelter.
- Passengers can download the “CATTracker” for free to track their bus in real time.
- They can also sign up for service alerts through text by texting “RIDECAT” to 41411.
- Sidney Lanier Bridge in Glynn County is closed until storm has passed and has passed an inspection. Earlier, GDOT had announced the closure of the Savannah River Bridge, but changed it just before 9 a.m. In the event that wind speeds force that to happen, Savannah traffic may use the Houlihan Bridge in Port Wentworth or I-95 to cross the Savannah River.
- Savannah city road closures: updates will be posted at savannahga.gov/floodalert
- Brunswick road closures: closures will be listed in the Glynn EMA dashboard and this FAQs document.
- Schools: Savannah-Chatham County Public Schools will have virtual learning days Thursday and Friday. All Coastal Georgia county public schools and most private schools will not meet in person on Thursday or Friday.
- College of Coastal Georgia will move classes online through Friday.
- SCAD announced Tuesday evening that it would close academic and administrative buildings in Savannah Thursday and Friday.
- Savannah State University will have asynchronous online classes Thursday and Friday.
- Georgia Southern University will move all classes online at 1 p.m. Thursday. Campuses will be closed. Only essential personnel should be on campuses and students living on campus may shelter in place in residence halls. Dining halls will have limited hours. People may return and classes will start only after campuses have been cleared and an “all-clear” Eagle Alert has been issued.
- Savannah Technical College will close at 5:30 p.m. Thursday, and will reopen on Monday.
- City of Savannah: Beginning Thursday, all non-emergency offices will be closed through the weekend. Landfill and Bacon Park convenience center will be closed. Recorders Court will close at 1 p.m. Thursday.
- Glynn County government offices will be closed to the public on Thursday and Friday.
- Live Oak Public Libraries: All branches will be closed Thursday through the weekend. They will reopen on Monday.
- Marshes of Glynn Public Libraries: All branches will be closed Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Due dates on materials will be extended until Monday, when the branches reopen.
Monitor tides, storm surges
Check points along the way through sensors set up by NOAA on its Coastal Inundation Dashboard.
Link to check smart sea-level sensors in Chatham and Bryan counties, St. Mary’s and Sapelo Island.
- For expert explanations about forecasts and what’s going on, check out Chuck Watson’s blog at Enki Research or on Facebook at Enki Research.
- Keep up with National Hurricane Center updates.
- And, remember a few months ago when reporter Mary Landers wrote about saildrones and hurricane research through the UGA Skidaway Institute for Oceanography? Here’s a video from NOAA’s Saildrone Explorer as it took a wild ride inside Category 4 Hurricane Fiona last week.
County, other sources for info
Here are sources of information from Coastal Georgia to help plan for a hurricane or flooding event. Sign up for alerts and social media in your county, know your evacuation routes and zones when designated and be ready to leave for your own safety.
Georgia Power’s outage map shows outage sizes and expected restoration time.
Coastal Electric Cooperative’s outage map shows outage sizes and expected restoration time.
Georgia Emergency Management – ReadyGeorgia tips, evacuation routes
Make your home “ready kit”: Here’s a list of things you’ll need.
Evacuation planning guide, Georgia routes, Ga DOT social media for updates
Family communications planning
Know your alerts, warnings.
Key messaging, forecasts from the National Hurricane Center
Chatham Emergency Management – download the app, register for alerts
Will you need assistance in case of evacuation? Registry information and forms required. Apply NOW for the hurricane registry: 1-833-243-7344
Glynn County Emergency Management 912-554-7111
For radio advisories: FM104.9
Evacuation map, evacuation districts
Liberty County Emergency Management
Sign up for Liberty County alerts.
Follow LibertycountyEMA on Facebook for updates.
Camden County Emergency Management
Camden County evacuation routes, maps, zones
Bryan County Emergency Management
McIntosh County Emergency Management
Sign up for McIntosh County alert system